Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My most vivid memory . . .

My most vivid memory would have to be one summer in 2005. My family and I decided to take a trip to Serbia. I hadn't been there since 2000 so I was extremely excited to go.

I remember the plane ride being extremely long and almost 10 hours. The plane was filled with people and the smell and taste of discus ting airplane food filled the air. I remember watching the movie Chicago at least 4 times before I eventually fell asleep. There was an old man beside me that took up my arm spot.

When I reached Belgrade after a long 10 hour trip, all I wanted to do was sleep. The next day when I woke up everything was so different to me than Canada, so I felt like I just wanted to go home.

My uncle saw that I wasn't in my normal happy mood so he decide to take me shopping. We went and he showed me around Belgrade, and finally we reached a pass to the subways. There was a women standing there selling chicks and little bunnies. I wanted a bunny so bad that I decided I would not leave without one. Finally, my uncle agreed and played 600 dinars (10 dollars) for the bunny. I took the bunny, which fit in the palm of my hand and decided to name him Braco. I felt like with him, my summer had started to get better.
I eventually made more friends in Belgrade, and began to go out while enjoying my vacation.

One day I decided to take a break from going out, I just felt like staying home and relaxing. At this point I decided to lay on the floor for some odd reason, and I took my bunny and put him on my chest. My sister then called me to come upstairs and this moment I will never forget.

I remember that a Spanish soap opera called Kasandra, and it was raining outside. There were street cars passing and I remember seeing umbrellas passing by our 5 floor apartment. My mom was making coffee for my grandpa and uncle and there was chatter all in throughout the living room. As I picked up my bunny to put him down he jumped away happily to his food. My uncle got up at the same time and all I heard was a splat and a "Oh my god" from my sister. She began to scream and when I looked up I saw that my uncle had accidentally stepped on my bunny and his blood was splattered everywhere.

This was the worst sight I had ever seen in my life and I was so mad I began to cry. I remember my mom had to take him and put him in the garbage. I cried for a whole 4 hours. This was the worst and most vivid moment. My mom tried to buy me a new bunny at least 30 times but I still have the same fear as last time. I am still furious at my uncle and our relationship has truly never been the same as it was before this incident.

1 comment:

  1. What an emotional rollar-coaster and just as your trip finally seems to be going your way, your bunny is killed! That is so traumatizing!
    I can definitely see why this is your most vivid childhood memory!

    ReplyDelete